Peabody is the building, Jack is the dog, and I'm Dean J (she/her, btw).

There are years of posts here. The search box works well, but please consider the age of the posts when you find them. The college admission process changes every year!

References to emailing updates to your application are from the years when we didn't have the current applicant portal. Please follow the instructions in your portal to submit all updates.

Welcome to the blog and thanks for reading!

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Carpe Donut

In an entry about free and cheap entertainment in Charlottesville last year, I posted about Marco & Luca, the dumpling shop on the Downtown Mall that has a cult following. The post has loads of comments about those dumplings and I hope those who wound up at UVa have had a chance to try them by now.

I feel that I must tell you about another snack that Charlottesville residents find addictive because it is parked outside of Peabody Hall right now: Carpe Donut. It's a donut cart. I'm not trying to turn this blog into an advertising vehicle. When a donut cart shows up at your office, it's worth mentioning.


Carpe Donut is a fixture on the Downtown Mall. You can often find it at the Saturday morning city market (a food and crafts market in a parking lot behind the mall), at events at the Pavilion, and parked near the central part of the mall. Apparently, an office here on Grounds hired the cart for a few hours, which is why it's parked outside my building.

If you wind up at UVa and see this thing parked somewhere, check it out. I don't even like donuts and I'm tempted to run out to it right now.