Peabody is the building, Jack is the dog, and I'm Dean J (she/her, btw).

There are years of posts here. The search box works well, but please consider the age of the posts when you find them. The college admission process changes every year!

References to emailing updates to your application are from the years when we didn't have the current applicant portal. Please follow the instructions in your portal to submit all updates.

Welcome to the blog and thanks for reading!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Early numbers and a status update

My sense, which is not based on any statistics or deep analysis, is that we are ahead of where we were last year when it comes to processing applications.  I'm referring to the filing of documents with applications, not reading applications, when I talk about "processing."  Don't worry about your status pages just yet.  Do not send us duplicates of any documents if we have not contacted you to specifically ask for them.  Sit tight. 

Now, I have a first peek at application numbers.  Please understand that I am reading applications for about 12-14 hours per day right now.  I am not running reports to generate statistics.  Please don't ask me for more data.  I can't sacrifice reading time right now.  Applications come first...even CavDog [reluctantly] accepts that.

Picture I posted on Twitter of CavDog sleeping next to me during application reading

We have just under 24,000 applications right now (23,942, to be specific).  This is a preliminary number that might change.  Here's a look at our application numbers from past years:

2005: 15,922
2006: 16,298
2007: 18,046
2008: 18,598
2009: 21,831
2010: 22,516

As always, feel free to post questions in the comments.