I'm going to keep this entry very, very simple.
Around this time of year, many colleges and universities send letters to very strong students telling them that their applications are impressive. These letters are commonly referred to as "likely letters".
If you have questions about a "likely letter" from UVa, I hope this helps:
1. A small number of likely letters are sent each year. There is no set number of letter sent.
2. The letters are sent in waves, not at once.
3. Do not read into the absence of a letter. The vast majority of admitted students never receive one. It is best to assume you will not get one.
4. There is no relationship between likely letters and Echols/Rodman/College Science Scholars.
5. The letter means exactly what it says. We like you!
6. International students can get one of these letters.