Peabody is the building, Jack is the dog, and I'm Dean J (she/her, btw).

There are years of posts here. The search box works well, but please consider the age of the posts when you find them. The college admission process changes every year!

References to emailing updates to your application are from the years when we didn't have the current applicant portal. Please follow the instructions in your portal to submit all updates.

Welcome to the blog and thanks for reading!

Monday, February 10, 2014

The Quirky Essay Question

UVa Dining often hosts special theme nights on Grounds. I don't usually pay much attention to them since I'm a creature of habit and tend to stick to the same selections over and over again. Someone told me about a recent Pokemon dinner and insisted that this would be a "super cool" item for my blog. I don't really go off-topic very often here, so I originally stuck a link on the Facebook page that's connected to this blog and thought that'd be the end of it.

After I started flipping through the photos from the dinner, I started to think that UVa Dining's events are the quirky things we don't really talk about in our formal info sessions. 


Confession time: I wrote the "quirk" essay question that appeared on the application this year. I wrote some other questions, but I'm really proud of how "Quirk" worked. I've enjoyed what those who chose to answer the question have done with it. 

I've decided that I'm going to start a "Quirk" series on the blog where I'll step away from the admission talk for a little while and share some of the things that don't make it into our talks and brochures.

For now, enjoy some of my favorite photos from UVa Dining's Pokemon Dinner. If you know a little bit about UVa's culture already, feel free to make suggestions about subjects for future "Quirk" posts. I'll definitely cover our lingo and some of our big traditions.