Here are the prompts for the two required pieces of writing you'll have to do for your UVa Supplement to the Common Application. Pay attention to the information about how long these should be. These aren't term papers. You should be able to answer the questions in half a page. Part of being a good writer is being a good editor, so you really shouldn't go too far beyond the recommended length.
2011-2012 UVa Supplement Essay Questions
1. We are looking for passionate students to join our diverse community of scholars, researchers, and artists. Answer the question that corresponds to the school or program you selected. Limit your answer to a half page or roughly 250 words.
- College of Arts & Sciences: What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way?
- Engineering: If you were given funding for a small engineering project, what would you do?
- Architecture: Discuss an experience that led you to apply to the School of Architecture.
- Nursing: Discuss experiences that led you to choose the School of Nursing.
- Kinesiology: Discuss experiences that led you to choose the kinesiology major.
2. Answer one of the following questions in a half page or roughly 250 words:
- What is your favorite word and why?
- Describe the world you come from and how that world shaped who you are.
- Discuss your favorite place to get lost. (This question was written by U.Va. students who live in one of residential colleges, Brown College at Monroe Hill.)
- Discuss something you secretly like but pretend not to, or vice versa.
For more essay advice, click on the "essay" tag at the bottom of this entry!