Peabody is the building, Jack is the dog, and I'm Dean J (she/her, btw).

There are years of posts here. The search box works well, but please consider the age of the posts when you find them. The college admission process changes every year!

References to emailing updates to your application are from the years when we didn't have the current applicant portal. Please follow the instructions in your portal to submit all updates.

Welcome to the blog and thanks for reading!

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Heads up for incoming students

I posted this elsewhere, but figured I'd repeat it here. This is not meant to be a commercial, but since so many of you will visit the Bed, Bath, & Beyond near Grounds during move in, I thought I'd let you know that that store will accept expired coupons. If you live near a store, you probably get blue, 20% off cards almost weekly. If you are so inclined, you could save them up and use them here regardless of hold old they are.

I guess I should also warn you that all of the big stores that sell dorm supplies will be a bit chaotic at times during the move-in.

Some of our current students also offered some move-in day advice here. Here are a few gems from current student, DB123, who used to post comments on this blog as an applicant:

When thinking about the things you need for your room consult your parents! Mine were invaluable on move in day.

Why? Your parents think of things you would easily overlook; they're trained for it! After moving in, I realized I forgot to buy socks (I hate shoes; love sandals), an umbrella (my rents bought me two; one for heavier gusty winds and one lighter one that would work in most situations. I would never think of that. And, buying two means you'll have an extra if you lose one.), a basic screwdriver set, scissors, flashlight, cotton balls, first aid kit, FOOD, storage, etc.

Your parents will also be there for most of the day. Buying all the stuff you forgot, putting everything together, making sure you're settled in. Always remember to thank them and tell them you love them. You, their baby, is going off to college!

And, if they offer to unpack your stuff, let them. Unpacking will go by much, much faster and they just know where to put stuff. Seriously. If mine hadn't unpacked my stuff despite my protests, I wouldn't have unpacked for weeks. And the first thing you should unpack is your fan. Set it up and turn it on immediately.
There's plenty more advice out there. Do some reading and don't just go off the lists of "dorm essentials" that stores produce. They are generic and often lead you to believe you need more than you really do. Remember to consult the "what to/what not to bring" lists that housing publishes. There are also some fire safety regulations to consider when thinking about decorating your room.