Here are the prompts for the two required pieces of writing you'll have to do for your UVa Supplement to the Common Application. You should be able to answer the questions in half a page. Single spacing is preferred (double spacing is so notes can be made on paper and we're paperless). Part of being a good writer is being a good editor, so you really shouldn't go too far beyond the recommended length.
2012-2013 UVa Supplement Essay Questions for First Year Applicants
1. We are looking for passionate students to join our diverse community of scholars, researchers, and artists. Answer the question that corresponds to the school you selected above. Limit your answer to a half page or roughly 250 words.
- College of Arts & Sciences: What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way?
- Engineering: If you were given funding for a small engineering project, what would you do?
- Architecture: What excites you about architecture?
- Nursing: Discuss experiences that led you to choose the School of Nursing.
- Kinesiology: Discuss experiences that led you to choose the kinesiology major.
2. Answer one of the following questions in a half page or roughly 250 words:
- What is your favorite word and why?
- Describe the world you come from and how that world shaped who you are.
- Discuss your favorite place to get lost. (This question was written by U.Va. students who live in one of our residential colleges, Brown College at Monroe Hill.)
- Discuss something you secretly like but pretend not to, or vice versa.