You'll write one general essay for the Common App and then you'll write two short responses on the UVA screen. The Common App announced their general essay prompts back in January. Here's what you'll see on the UVA part of the application...
2016-2017 First-Year Application Essay Questions
1. We are looking for passionate students to join our diverse community of scholars, researchers, and artists. Answer the question that corresponds to the school/program to which you are applying in a half page or roughly 250 words.
- College of Arts and Sciences - What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way?
- School of Engineering and Applied Sciences - If you were given funding for a small engineering project that would make everyday life better for one friend or family member, what would you do?
- School of Architecture - Describe an instance or place where you have been inspired by architecture or design.
- School of Nursing - Discuss experiences that led you to choose the School of Nursing.
- Kinesiology Program - Discuss experiences that led you to choose the kinesiology major.
2. Answer one of the following questions in a half page or roughly 250 words.
- What’s your favorite word and why?
- We are a community with quirks, both in language and in traditions. Describe one of your quirks and why it is part of who you are.
- Student self-governance, which encourages student investment and initiative, is a hallmark of the UVA culture. In her fourth year at UVA, Laura Nelson was inspired to create Flash Seminars, one-time classes which facilitate high-energy discussion about thought-provoking topics outside of traditional coursework. If you created a Flash Seminar, what idea would you explore and why?
- UVA students paint messages on Beta Bridge when they want to share information with our community. What would you paint on Beta Bridge and why is this your message?
A note about word limits:
The word limits are there so you know that we are expecting short statements, not term papers. Be concise and thoughtful in your statement statement and try to convey your voice and style in your words. This is the one spot on your application where your personality gets to shine, so don't treat this like a formal school assignment.
We are looking forward to seeing what applicants for the Class of 2021 do with these questions! Good luck with your writing!
As always, I'm happy to answer your questions in the comments.